5/15/08

So why buy a new camera? Why this camera?

My search for a great compact camera continues. I refuse to purchase a big camera because I know I would not take it traveling or hiking. No photo is worse than a less than great photo.

I have been happy with my current Olympus S350: it can shoot a quality snap and create uncompressed RAW files. Nice. But when it comes to family and social photos, it's limited by slow shutter response time and poor low light function. So I have purchased a next step camera with a better lens, a Canon Powershot A720. It's highly rated and cheap enough that I can just do this.

Here's a site providing information about digital camera sensor sizing—mystifying info for us consumer type shooters. The sensor size decides how well a camera will shoot compared to a traditional 35mm camera. The megapixel measure is less important. Who knew? After days of research, apparently I am waiting for Canon to produce a G10 model with a 1.6 sensor chip. How's that for buzzwording?