5/14/10

Dishing the dishes ...

So I think I will include posts about dishes I cook. I like cooking. I like messing around with recipes. I never record them. Honestly, why would anybody want to make a dish the same way twice?

I won’t post each day; we eat a lot off leftovers. And I won’t repeat a dish unless it’s improved vastly. Maybe I will add photos.

Here goes.

Asparagus pesto pizza
Look here for the original pesto recipe. My changes are in brackets. Use the extra on pasta at another meal.

Pesto recipe:
1 pound asparagus
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 or 3 medium garlic cloves [2 teaspoons bottled spanish garlic]
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 2/3 cup) [4 oz. Asiago]

Added ingredients:
Put down a bed of caramelized chopped onions on the pizza crust.
Next lather on the pesto.
Chop 1 tomato and toss it on top of the pesto.
Put a sprinkling of cheese for looks.

Pizza crust:
Use a biscuit recipe using 2 cups of flour and 1/4 cup of sesame seeds.

Next time:
I will use diced smoked salmon on the pizza. It’s yummy as is but it can use a bit of bite.

Wow. Here’s a sidebar on the recipe sent by my brother Jim: A condition known as pine mouth caused by pine nuts.